Submit a complaint


Shettleston Housing Association is committed to providing high quality services to all our customers, at all times.  However, when things do go wrong, it is important that you tell us so that we can act quickly to put things right.

The Association has adopted the two stage complaints handling procedure created by the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) for registered social landlords.  To read our Complaints Procedure, please click here.

What is a complaint and why should I complain?

We regard a “complaint” as an expression of dissatisfaction about an action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us.  Complaints give us valuable information we can use to improve our services, identify where improvements are needed, and prevent the same problem from arising again.  Getting it right first time saves us time and money and builds better relationships with our customers.

Who can make a complaint?

Anyone who receives, requests or is affected by our services can make a complaint.  Obviously this includes all our tenants, but it also includes members of the public who could have access to be affected by our services, such as homeowners using our factoring services.   All such people count as our customers.

Examples of what I can complain about?

  • delays in responding to queries and requests
  • failure to provide a service, or the standard of a service
  • staff attitude
  • dissatisfaction with our policy
  • failure to follow procedures

What can’t I complain about?

  • a first-time request for a service, e.g. reporting a repair or initial action on anti-social behaviour
  • requests for compensation
  • Policies and procedures that have a separate right of appeal process such as allocations and priority given.
  • a complaint we have already investigated and given a final decision on
  • any issues that are being dealt with in court or have already been heard in court

How do I complain?

You can complain in person at our office, by phone, in writing or by email.

You can also submit a complaint here: Complaint Form

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO)

The SPSO is the final stage for handling complaints about public services in Scotland, including complaints about housing associations.    The SPSO deals with complaints after they have been through the formal complaints procedure of the organisation concerned.

For more information about SPSO, please visit

Significant Performance Failure (SPF)

A significant performance failure (SPF) is not an individual tenant complaint about services, it is where a landlord, for example, consistently fails to achieve outcomes in the Scottish Social Housing Charter, or where a landlord has not reported its performance annually to tenants.  Further examples of what an SPF is, how to report it the Regulator and what the Regulator will do in response, can be found in this leaflet about SPFs.

Please note that any such complaint should first be raised with Shettleston Housing Association, so that we can try to address the issue, before it is escalated to the Regulator.  This leaflet from the Regulator about SPFs provides more information.