Earlier in the year, the Scottish Government announced additional payments for school aged children. £160 was paid per child to eligible families on 8th October and a further payment will be made in December for each P1 to S6 pupil who is entitled to Free School Meals due to their parent/guardian being in receipt of low income or a qualifying benefit. The payment can be used by families for any purpose as they see fit.
This payment is in addition to support delivered through the continuation of Free School Meals over the school holidays and the £130 Low Income Pandemic Payment.
Who will receive the payment?
- Children in P4-S6 who receive Free School Meals will be eligible for the payment.
- Children in P1-P3 who are eligible due to low income or qualifying benefits only. Children in P1-P3 who receive universal Free School Meals, and who do not meet the financial qualifying conditions for Free School Meals, are not eligible for these additional payments.
- Pre-school aged children are not eligible for this additional payment. The Scottish Child Payment is available for children under the age of 6.
Is the payment per family or per child?
- A payment of £160 will be made for each eligible child in the household.
How will I receive the payment?
- Payment will be made automatically for all children entitled to receive Free School Meals and meet the criteria detailed above.
When will I receive the payment?
- Eligible children would have received the October payment on 8th October and the next payment will be in December.
For more information about this payment, please contact our welfare rights officers David and George on 0141 763 0511.